Holy Spirit and Angel
Who is/are Holy Spirit? Who is/are Angel? Is Holy Spirit the GOD? To know the answer of these special questions, read the article below… Holy Spirit is an important religious term. The term was used in different places of Tâẃrah, Zabur, Kitabun Anbiya, Injil and Quran like below: In Hebrew Old Scriptures: שדוקה חור (Spelled as, Ruâh Ha-Qôdêsh) In Arabic Quran: الروحالقﺩﺱ (Spelled as, Ruhul Qûdûs) Where, Qôdêsh (Hebrew) = Qûdûs (Arabic) = Holy (English) Ruâh (Hebrew) = Ruh (Arabic) = Spirit (English) The word Holy Spirit is a complex religious term. There are a lot of confusions among the Jewish, Christian and the Muslim believers about Holy Spirit. Now, let’s try to understand what Holy Spirit is actually.
Christian Traditional Belief:
In 325 AD, while the First Council of Nicaea held to make a Uniform Christian Doctrine, the Christian people added a new belief in their Nicene Creed doctrine, where we find that: 
“And we (believe) in the Holy Ghost”
Later in the First Council of Constantinople that held in 381 AD something new was added like below: 
“… in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceeded from the Father, who (Holy Ghost) with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified, who speak by the prophets.”
In summary, the Christians believed that,
- Holy Spirit is different divine from GOD, but again He is GOD Himself.
- Holy Spirit proceeds from GOD.
- People should glorify and worship Holy Spirit.
- Holy Spirit is the Lord who gives life and speaks through the Prophets.
For this reason both the Catholic and the Protestant Christians worship and glorify Holy Spirit. Only the Catholic Christians pray to Holy Spirit differently. Let’s have a look on the Catholic webpage: 
Holy Spirit Below is all the available prayers in this section.
- A Prayer for the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
- Angelic Praises of the Most Sacred Trinity
- Come Holy Spirit, Creator Blest (Veni, Creator Spiritus)
- Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost
- The Prayer – Three Offerings to the Most Holy Trinity …
There are some people who believe that, not only GOD but also Angels are Holy Spirit; as their Spirits are Holy, and they come from GOD. Again, there are a lot of people who pray to the Angels to get reference in their prayers to GOD. Some believes that, as Angels have power & wisdom of GOD; so, if they pray to Angels, their prayers will be granted. In the Catholic website we will find these sample prayers to the Angels: 
Guardian Angel Below is all the available prayers in this section.
- A GUARDIAN ANGEL PRAYER FOR FRIENDS
- A MOTHER’S PRAYER TO THE GUARDIAN ANGELS OF HER CHILDREN
- A PRAYER TO THE HOLY GUARDIAN ANGELS
- Daily Prayer to Guardian Angel
- GOOD NIGHT MY GUARDIAN ANGEL
- GUARDIAN ANGEL PRAYER
- Holy Guardian Angel (Feast on October 2) … … …
So, we get that,
- Some people glorify and worship Holy Spirit as GOD.
- Some people glorify and worship Holy Spirit differently with GOD.
- Some people worship the Angels believing them as the Spirit who are Holy, therefore Holy Spirit.
Teachings of the Bible:
To understand about Holy Spirit now we will check some important verses from the Holy Books, and then we will discuss about the verses; as we should believe what was written on the Holy Books, but not on something that comes from our blind belief without any proof. Maximum of the Christianity believes Holy Spirit as GOD’s Spirit. Again, others believe Holy Spirit as GOD’s Power, while few believe Holy Spirit as Isa’s Spirit. So, we must be sure according to the Holy Books that, what Holy Spirit is actually.
– Case 1 –
“You (GOD) spoke by the Holy Spirit through the mouth of Your servant, our father Daẅíd”
(Bible, Acts 4:25)
- If you believe Holy Spirit as GOD, then you can read this verse as: “GOD spoke by GOD through the mouth of Daẅíd”. Do you think it as correct?
- In this verse,
- Daẅíd spoke (with his mouth).
- Holy Spirit (worked as GOD’s Assistant and) helped Daẅíd to speak.
- GOD (as the Lord) commanded Holy Spirit to help Daẅíd. Do you think that, the Assistant and the Lord both can be same? If they are not, then how Holy Spirit is GOD’s Spirit?
- What is the necessity of writing the portion: “by the Holy Spirit” in this verse if Holy Spirit is GOD?
Note: In fact, Holy Spirit means GOD’s Angel who supported the mouth of Prophet Daẅíd. Angel supported Prophet Daẅíd to predict and give GOD’s Word of Wisdom. Therefore the meaning of the above verse should be like this:
“You (GOD) spoke by the Angel through the mouth of Your servant, our father Daẅíd”
Let’s check a verse as reference of the verse above:
“You are just like your fathers: You always resist the (teaching of) Holy Spirit … You who have received the law that was put into effect through Angels but have not obeyed it.”
(Bible, Act 7:51-53)
Surely, GOD provided His Word of Wisdom by His Angels, whom we call as Holy Spirit. So, Holy Spirit is nothing rather than GOD’s Angels.
– Case 2 –
“(O GOD,) do not cast me from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me”
(Bible, Psalm 51:11)
- If Holy Spirit is GOD’s Spirit, then the verse should be like this: “Don’t cast me from Your Spirit or takeYour Spirit from me”. Do you think that, the same sentences were written twice into one Compound Sentence including a “or”? Does it make any sense?
Note: Actually, GOD sends His Angels to stay with the believers so that they may help the believers. So, the meaning of the above verse will be like:
“(O GOD,) do not cast me from Your presence or take Your Angel from me”
– Case 3 –
“All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Sprit enabled them”
(Bible, Acts 2:4)
- Holy Spirit spoke through the mouth of Isa’s disciples and glorified GOD. If you believe Holy Spirit as GOD, then do you think that, GOD glorifies Him Himself directly? If GOD gathers pride by Him Himself, then why He created all the Beings?
Note: Some people get confused and think that, Holy Spirit is something that fills our inside (mind or body); therefore, it is not a Being but an Abstract. But it is a wrong belief. In fact, the fulfillment of Holy Spirit into ones inside means Angel’s complete control on one’s mind and mouth. When Holy Spirit, therefore, Angel of GOD controlled the disciples of Isa, they began to pray and preach in different languages, and GOD became glorified through this miraculous act by the Angel through the disciples. So, we can explain the verse as:
“All of them were fully controlled by the Angel and began to speak in other tongues as the Sprit enabled them”
Finally as a proof of the fact that, Holy Spirit is GOD’s Angel who enabled the disciples to speak, let us check a verse,
If I speak in the Tongues of Men and of Angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
(Bible, 1 Corinthians 13:1)
– Case 4 –
“Where is He who set His Holy Spirit among them?”
(Bible, Ishaiah 63:11)
- If you think Holy Spirit as GOD’s Spirit, then do you believe that, GOD’s Spirit stays with His believers?
- If GOD stays with the believers, then from where GOD came down on the Mount Sinai in front of Bani Israél? As it is written that,
“The LORD said to Moses, ‘I am going to come to you in a dense cloud’”
(Bible, Exodus 19:9)
- If you believe that, GOD lives everywhere even on the Earth with us, then who lives in the Heaven? And, if GOD stays with us on the Earth, then why we put sandals? As it is written that,
“GOD said, ’Do not come any closer (as GOD is present in this place). Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground’.”
(Bible, Exodus 3:5-6)
In fact, GOD is in the Heaven. But, as He has complete control over the entire universe, so we say that GOD is everywhere. Secondly, in the above verse, while GOD talked to Prophet Mûsâ, it was ordered to Prophet Mûsâ to put the sandals off from his feet, because GODs present was there on that moment.
- If GOD sets His own Spirit among the believers, then GOD surely stays beside the believers. Then why GOD sends his Angels to help the believers providing His Word of Wisdom and Power, and why GOD sends his Angels to show Vision and to deliver the Messages of Future? Is there any necessity of the Angels to come, if GOD’s Spirit is staying with the believers? Surely not; Because GOD sends His Angels as his assistant as it is written that,
“While I, Daniyêl, was watching the vision and trying to understand it … I heard a man’s voice from the Ulai calling, ‘Jîbráîl, tell this man (Daniyêl) the meaning of the vision’.”
(Bible, Daniel 8:15-16)
- Do you still believe that Holy Spirit is GOD’s Spirit and GOD stays with us always?
Note: In fact, God sets His Angel among His believers to protect and control them according to His Word of Wisdom. So, we may write the verse as:
“Where is He who set His Angel among them?”
As reference to this verse let’s check one more verse where it is written that:
The LORD said to Moses: “Bring Me seventy of Israel‘s elders … I will take (the control) of the Spirit that is on you and put (the control of) the Spirit on them (too). They will help you carry the burden of the people so that you will not have to carry it alone”
(Bible, Numbers 11:16-17)
So, we see that, GOD sends Spirit as His assistant upon the believers to support them. Surely it is not His Own Spirit, but His Sent Spirit. We can say this Sent Spirit as Holy Spirit.
Now, according to the Oxford English Dictionary we get the meaning of Angel as the Attendant of God; therefore, Angel is a Being who comes as an Assistant of GOD to provide services according to the will of GOD. So we also can say this Sent Spirit as Angel.
In Hebrew Old Scriptures: מַלְאָךְ (Spelled as, Mal’akh)
In Arabic Quran: ملاك (Spelled as, Malak)
In Greek: ἄγγελος (Spelled as, Angelos)
In English: Angel (Literal Meaning, to Sent)
So, we finally get that, there is no difference between Holy Spirit and Angel. Actually,
- The invisible Spirits that GOD uses for His special purposes among the mankind as His assistant are known as Holy Spirit.
- While God sends the Holy Spirit upon the believers, and the Spirits become visible to people, they call it as Angel.
As a proof of this saying let’s have a look at the verse below:
“Are not all Angels Ministering (Holy) Spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?”
(Bible, Hebrews 1:14)
– Case 5 –
“You will receive Power when the Holy Spirit comes on you”
(Bible, Acts 1:8)
- If you believe Holy Spirit as GOD or GOD’s Spirit, then can you read the verse as: “You will receivePower when GOD comes on you”? Is it GOD’s Job to come again and again down upon His believers leaving Heaven? If so, then why He made His Angels? Actually Angels comes upon us to help us again and again; as it is written like this,
“I tell you the truth, you shall see heaven open, and the Angels of GOD ascending and descending on the Son of Man.“
- Or, if you believe Holy Spirit as the Power of GOD, then can you read this verse as: “You will receivePower when Power comes on you”? Does this sentence make any sense?
Note: Actually Holy Spirit is not Power, but GOD’s Angel. GOD sends His Angel with His Power to supports the believers in their spiritual and physical needs. So, we can write this verse as:
“You will receive Power when the Angel comes (with GOD’s Power) on you”
Now, if you think that, Angels have no Power to protect or support us, and if you want to say that, there is no such type of evidence; then let’s check a verse:
”An Angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him (Isa)”
(Bible, Luke 22:43)
– Case 6 –
“I (Yahýa) baptize you with water. But … He (Isa) will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with Fire”
(Matthew 3:11) & (Luke 3:16)
- In the above verse, if you believe Holy Spirit as Isa’s Spirit then can you write this verse as: “Isa will baptize you with Isa and with Fire”? But it is not possible.
- Again, if you believe Holy Spirit as GOD then you may write this verse as: “Isa will baptize you with GOD and with Fire”. Do you think that, Isa baptized with GOD, but all the previous Prophets baptized the believers with someone else rather than GOD? No, because in this verse, Holy Spirit doesn’t mean GOD.
- From the above verse we learn that, Isa baptized with Holy Spirit. We get no other verse where it is written that, before Isa there was any Prophet who baptized with Holy Spirit. But, the question is that, how then the believers and the Prophets got Holy Spirit before Isa came? Try to think the answer of this question. Also try to think that, who actually Holy Spirit is, and what the baptism of Holy Spirit is. In fact, Holy Spirit is nothing rather than Angels of GOD, who were before and after prophet Isa.
Note: In this verse, Prophet Yahýa’s prediction ensures that, neither Isa nor GOD is the Holy Spirit. In fact, Isa baptized his disciples with “Fire” therefore the “Power of GOD” and “Holy Spirit”therefore the “Complete control of Arch Angel”. And, as we know that, “Baptize” means “Give a new name”. So, the verse can be expressed like this:
“I (Yahýa) give you new name with (the sign of) water. But … He (Isa) will give you new namewith the (complete control of) Angel and with the Power of GOD (though the Angel)”
– Case 7 –
“Make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the (Spiritual) Father and of the (Spiritual) Son and of the Holy Spirit”
- If you believe Holy Spirit as GOD then you can say this verse as: “Make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the GOD and of Isa and of the GOD”. Does it make any sense? Do you think that, Isa taught wrong?
Note: Actually in this verse, Isa told his disciples to baptize all the believers in the name of GOD (Spiritual Father), Isa (the Spiritual Son) and the Arch Angel (Holy Spirit). This is because; GOD is the Eternal Life, Isa was the Way to Eternal Life as a Prophet of his era and Arch Angel is the Helper in the Walk through the Way of Eternal Life. For this reason, Isa commanded his disciples to baptize all the believers remembering the Three Beings who were related to the Way to Eternal Life for mankind. About these Three Beings it is also written that:
“He (Isa) comes in his glory and in the glory of the (Spiritual) Father and (in the glory) of the Holy Angels”
(Bible, Luke 9:26)
“I charge you, in the sight of GOD and Isa Messiah and the Elect Angels, to keep these instructions without partiality”
(Bible, 1 Timothy 5:21)
So, it is sure that, Holy Spirit is nothing rather than GOD’s Holy Angels.
– Case 8 –
“The Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove.”
“The man on whom you see the Spirit come down”
- Rearranging the first verse we can write it as: “The Holy Spirit descended as a dove on him in a bodily form”. Do you think that Holy Spirit is an Abstract like Power?
- Comparing both the verses aren’t you sure that, Holy Spirit is a Sprit?
- Do you believe that, GOD’s own Spirit descended on Isa? If so, then what was the necessity of the Angels to provide strength where GOD was present into Isa, as it is written in the Scripture that,
”An Angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him (Isa)”
(Bible, Luke 22:43)
– Case 9 –
“The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit”
- While the Spirit came, Isa got baptized. If you believe Holy Spirit as GOD, then you have to write the verse as: “The man on whom you see GOD come down and remain is he who will baptize with the GOD”. Do you believe that, GOD descended and stayed with Isa? Actually not. In fact it, it is GOD’s Angel who descended to Prophet Isa.
Now, from the probable fragment of the Old Revelations, let us check what Angels do as the Assistant of GOD:
Chapters and Verse
(Related to Angels)
But the Angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven (to give a message), “Îbrahîm! Îbrahîm!”
(Bible, Genesis 22:11)
“I heard a man’s voice from the Ulai calling, ‘Jîbráîl, tell this man the meaning of the vision’.”
(Bible, Daniel 8:16)
Helper to Understand God’s Word
“The law was put into effect through Angels by a mediator.”
(Bible, Galatians 3:19)
Teacher of Law
“… Now I know without a doubt that the Lord sent his Angel and rescued me from Herod’s clutches …”
(Bible, Acts 12:11)
Men ate the bread of Angels; He sent them all the food they could eat.
(Bible, Psalm 78:25)
“He unleashed against them His hot anger, His wrath, indignation and hostility – a band of destroying Angels”
(Bible, Psalm 78:49)
Finally we see that, Angels are doing the same thing what the Holy Spirit is doing. There is no doubt that, Holy Spirits are nothing rather than GOD’s Angels.
Re-Establishment of the Teachings by Quran:
In general sense, “All the Spirits which are Holy are called Holy Spirit”. In this point of view, bellowing are the Holy Spirits.
- The Spirit of Allah
- All the Angels
- The Spirits who are Holy in Heaven and on Earth
This sense worked in the mind of the Christians, for what their wrong beliefs about Holy Spirit were created.
If the Christians say that, Allah is also Holy Spirit, then we have to say that, there is no difference between Allah’s Spirit and all other Spirits. But Quran teaches,
“Allah is the Most High, the Most Great”
(Quran, Luqman 31:30)
“Allah is the Most Powerful”
(Quran, Hud 11:66 & Al Hajj 22:74)
“He is the One Allah … the Most Sacred … the Most Faithful”
(Quran, Al Hashr 59:23)
“Allah is Most Kind”
(Quran, Al Hajj 22:65 & An Nur 24:20)
“… the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful”
(Quran, Al Fatehah 1:1)
“Allah is Almighty, Most Wise”
(Quran, Al Baqarah 2:209, 240, 260)
So, we find that, Allah’s Spirit and other Spirits can’t be equal; as Allah is on the highest position in all the ways than other Spirits.
Surely, Allah can’t be the Holy Spirit; but He is the Most Holy Spirit.
Now, as Allah is not the Holy Spirit, then whoever the Holy Spirit is, people must not worship or glorify that Holy Spirit. If someone worships the Holy Spirit including GOD, or if someone worships Angels thinking them as Holy Spirit, then both of them are wrong; as Allah is the one and only to be worshiped and glorified.
Let’s come to Quran to check the verses where the term Holy Spirit was used:
“I gave Isa, son of Maryam, profound miracles and supported him with the Holy Spirit”
(Quran, Al Baqarah 2:87, 253)
“(O Isa,) I (am Allah who) supported you with the Holy Spirit”
(Quran, Al Maedah 5:110)
“(O Muhammad,) The Holy Spirit (Jîbráîl) has bought it (Quran) down from your Lord”
(Quran, An Nahl 16:102)
“The Honest Spirit (Jîbráîl) came down with it (Quran)”
(Quran, Ash Shura 26:193)
“(O Muhammad,) anyone who opposes Jîbráîl, (the Holy Spirit), should know that he has bought down this (Quran) into your heart”
(Quran, Al Baqarah 2:97)
The Quran indicates Jîbráîl as the Holy Spirit. Let us check one more verse where it is written like this:
“Anyone who opposes GOD, and His Angels, and His messengers, and Jîbráîl and Mikhaîl, should know that GOD opposes the disbelievers.”
(Quran, Al Baqarah 2:98)
Here, we see that, though once it is written about Angels, but again the name of Jîbráîl and Mikhaîl (both) was written beside it. That means, Jîbráîl and Mikhaîl is not identified as Common Angels. Actually they were the Arch Angels of Allah.
So, verifying all the verses above, we can say that, Allah’s Arch Angels whom He sends and uses for special purposes are known as Holy Spirit.
The people who created wrong beliefs about Holy Spirit worship and glorify the Holy Spirit, and in this way, consciously or unconsciously they are disobeying and disregarding their Almighty Creator Allah. But, Allah is not the Holy Spirit, but the Most Holy Spirit, and Holy Spirit is nothing rather than Allah’s Arch Angels.
So, let’s check some questions.
- Is Quran teaching Holy Spirit as GOD’s Spirit?
- Is Quran establishing Holy Spirit as a different divine being beside GOD?
- Is Quran teaches to worship Holy Spirit beside GOD?
It is sure that the answer of these questions are, NO.
Remember Some Facts
Holy Spirit is GOD’s Arch Angel.
While Holy Spirit is acting invisible we are saying it as the action of Holy Spirit.
While Holy Spirit becomes visible and acts we name them as Angel.
We shouldn’t worship, glorify or pray to Holy Spirit, because the owner of these things is only the Almighty Creator Allah.
– By Preacher Abdullah N. A.
- Holy Quran